The State Basketball Championship will use NFHS Rules (National Federation of State High School Associations), except for the following exceptions:
1) For 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, two 16 minute stop-clock halves.*
For 3rd thru 5th grades, two 14 minute stop-clock halves.*
* The clock will stop during timeouts and when a team is leading by more than 20 points in the second half, the clock will run continuously until the lead is below 20 points at which time normal stop-clock timing rules apply.
2) 5-minute warm-up time(minimum)
3) 3-minute halftime
4) 3 Timeouts per game. 1 additional timeout per overtime. Timeouts do carry over to 2nd half.
5) 5 Fouls per player
6) All Overtimes are 2 minutes. Sudden Death after 2 OT's. *In a State Championship game teams will play in as many Overtimes as it takes to determine a winner, no sudden death.
7) No pressing or trapping with a 25-point lead
8) Specific 3rd Grade Rules:
-Pressing will only be permitted in the last 2 minutes of the game (if the game is within 25 points)
-Players are permitted to jump over the foul line on a free throw as long as they began the shot attempt behind
Ball Size: 3rd – 6th grade boys will use a 28.5 ball , unless by mutual agreement between both coaches to use 29.5 ball. Boys 7th-8th will use 29.5 ball. All grades for girls will use 28.5 ball.
*Each team is required to bring a game ball to each of their games, officials will decide which ball will be used.
Uniform Colors: Teams listed on left of schedule (or listed on top of bracket) are Visitors and will wear dark. Teams listed on right of schedule (or listed on bottom of bracket) are Home and will wear light.
4-Game Guarantee: All tournament teams will play at least 4 games.
-If a team does not have 5 players on the floor within 10 minutes of the scheduled start time the final score will be recorded as 15-0. Teams can still commence and play i.e. 4 on 5 if both coaches agree, however it will still be recorded as a forfeit and final score of 15-0.
-PLEASE NOTE: Any No-Show Forfeits will also be invoiced for the prorated amount of team entry fee. Any unpaid invoices may prevent team or any teams in same program from participating at State until payment is received.
- As per NFHS rules, if a forfeit is ruled by officials during a game, then the final score shall be the score at the time of the forfeit (if the teams that wins by forfeit was is in the lead at the time of the forfeit), or the final score will be recorded as 2-0 if the teams that wins by forfeit was tied or trailing at the time of the forfeit.
Pool Standing Tiebreakers
3-Team and 5-Team Pools Tiebreaker to determine place of finish:
1. Number of Wins
2. Head to Head result
3. Point Differential (Includes ALL pool play games, up to 15 points max per game)
4. Points Allowed (Includes ALL pool play games)
5. Points Scored (Includes ALL pool play games)
6. Coin Flip
4-Team Pools shown as bracket - Winner of both games is 1st place
For the two 1-1 teams 2nd place goes to the tie breaker which is (in order) head to head, point differential, points against, and points scored
Loser of both games is 4th place
* Note: These type breakers apply to division sizes of 7, 10, and 11. 4-team pools shown as bracket within 13, 14,15, 19, 21, 22, and 23 team divisions will have 2nd place be the winner of the 1st game and the loser of the 2nd game. Also 4 team pools in an 8 team division are different and use Round Robin play to determine pool finish. In the event of a tie in one of these pools then the 3-Team Pool Tiebreakers listed above are used.
Participant Conduct: The State Basketball Championship committee reserves the right to eject any player, coach, official or spectator from a facility for objectionable behavior.
Scorekeepers: State Basketball will provide staffing for the book and the clock.
Coaches- Please address any officiating disputes in a professional manner with your game's designated Court Supervisor and be a great role models for your players. Please do not interfere with the scores table causing them to not be able to do their job.
Parents- If you have an issue with a referee, you must direct it through your coach.